Re: Really Long Range Commercial Transport

From:         plisner@mti.mti.sgi.com (Peter Lisner)
Date:         20 May 94 01:58:42

Ned Kittlitz <kittlitz@seagoon.sw.stratus.com> wrote:

>I believe there are multiple flightdeck crews on very long flights. Is this
>true? what are the average/maximum-permitted shifts? How does the on-duty
>clock run for these people. (Isn't the limit usually 80 hrs per month?)
>
>I'm not sure I'd want to fly with a pilot who had been sitting around
>in an aluminum tube for 16 hours before going to work.
>
>-----
>E. N. Kittlitz  (kittlitz@sw.stratus.com, kittlitz@world.std.com)
>consulting at Stratus, not representing their positions.

On British Airways 747-400 flights over 12 hours, they carry two
complete crews (Captain and First Officer). The first crew is
called the "operating crew",and they do the take-off and up to the
first 6 hours of flight. They then rest for the next 5 or 6 hours,
andthe "heavy crew" takes over. There are bunks for the crew just
behind the flight deck. The operating crew then takes over for the
last hour or so of the flight. I got this from a very interesting book
called "London-Sydney" by Philip J. Birtles, which is no. 8 in the
"From the Flightdeck" series, published in 1993 by Ian Allan. The book
and others from the series are listed in the "Airliners" catalog.

All opinions are mine, not SGI's.

--
Peter Lisner
e-mail: plisner@mti.sgi.com