Re: Really Long Range Commercial Transport

From:         rna@leland.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft)
Date:         20 May 94 01:58:41

>In article <airliners.1994.1237@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Ned Kittlitz wrote:>I believe there are multiple flightdeck crews on very long flights.
>>Is this true?
>
>I've heard from a United pilot that on the long flights they have one
>and even two (on flights like LAX-SYD) reserve first officers, in
>addition to the captain, first officer, and, on older 747s, the flight
>engineer.  The primary first officer is on duty during takeoff and
>landing, so the two reserves only get the really exciting chore of
>watching the autopilot guide the aircraft over vast expanses of water.

Yes, I visited the Air New Zealand 747-400 flight deck on LAX-Auckland
on Dec 25, the two pilots on duty were the first and second officer
(second officer in the pilot's seat) as the captain was having a
snooze.  The pilots have a rest area on the upper deck and the rest
of the crew has a rest area at the very rear of the aircraft, in
the tailcone.  It's above the level of the main deck and reached
via some stairs.  You sometimes see them popping in and out of it
during the flight.

Actually, on our flight they did have a little excitement---some really
thumping turbulence (the worst I have ever experienced---woke the whole
plane up) just east of Fiji.  We had to take some evasive manuevers and
veer off our flight path (according to the flight display on the monitors).

RNA