Re: Exhaust fumes in aircraft cabin?

From:         pete@Rational.COM (Pete Coe)
Date:         20 May 94 01:58:41

Speaking of exhaust fumes, I actually got to fly somewhere this weekend.  I
was in the back of a 737-400, and I was most surprised that when the crew
started the engines, the number two did only what I can describe as a
backfire.

I may have imagined a bang, but I certainly saw a very large puff of smoke
come out the back.  In many years of sitting behind the wing, I cannot recall
seeing this before.  As we made a safe flight after this I think I can assume
that it was perfectly safe.  Was this a malfunction, or do CFM-56's have a
habit of doing this kind of thing?

And no, I didn't smell anything.

--

-- Pete Coe