Re: Exhaust fumes in aircraft cabin?

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         16 May 94 01:53:30

In article <airliners.1994.1230@ohare.Chicago.COM> davelett@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Richard Sun) writes:
>In article <airliners.1994.1222@ohare.Chicago.COM> Joseph_Hall@sat.mot.com (Joseph Hall) writes:
>
>>Deicing mixture also has a "nice" odor, kind of like kerosine mixed
>>with perfume.  I forget what the circumstances with the original poster
>>were, but sometimes sitting on the ground or the runway you can get
>>a nice cabin full of fumes if the air intakes were left on during
>>deicing.
>
>I thought airlines turned off engines during deicing as a general rule.

When it actually FROZE in Austin earlier this year, I happened to be at the
airport seeing a Continental 727 flight engineer off.  Most of the airplanes
were grounded, with 2-3 inches of ice on the wings.  As we were waiting,
an American Airlines 727 parked next to the gate began to start up, then shut
down.  The captain came out, climbed on top of the catering truck, was
elevated to approximately the top of the airplane, climbed on top of the
airplane, and stuck his upper body in the #2 engine.  60 seconds later, the
de-icing cranes poured glycol into there for about a minute.  Three minutes
after that, they started the #2 engine.  The spray out the exhaust was *very*
impressive. :-)

I would imagine the cabin would have been aromatic after that. :-)

--
Robert Dorsett
rdd@netcom.com