Re: Really Long Range Commercial Transport

From:         kittlitz@seagoon.sw.stratus.com (Ned Kittlitz)
Date:         16 May 94 01:53:29

In article <airliners.1994.1228@ohare.chicago.com> rna@leland.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft) writes:
>I've done one flight that went half the way around:  British Airways,
>London-Auckland, New Zealand in 1984/85.  This was three stops, which
>was at least one too many.  It was scheduled at something between
>24-30 hours, depending on direction.

Imagine how the crew would feel about flying that long.

I believe there are multiple flightdeck crews on very long flights. Is this
true? what are the average/maximum-permitted shifts? How does the on-duty
clock run for these people. (Isn't the limit usually 80 hrs per month?)

I'm not sure I'd want to fly with a pilot who had been sitting around
in an aluminum tube for 16 hours before going to work.

-----
E. N. Kittlitz  (kittlitz@sw.stratus.com, kittlitz@world.std.com)
consulting at Stratus, not representing their positions.