Re: Exhaust fumes in aircraft cabin?

From:         davelett@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Richard Sun)
Date:         14 May 94 21:09:51

In article <airliners.1994.1222@ohare.Chicago.COM> Joseph_Hall@sat.mot.com (Joseph Hall) writes:

>Deicing mixture also has a "nice" odor, kind of like kerosine mixed
>with perfume.  I forget what the circumstances with the original poster
>were, but sometimes sitting on the ground or the runway you can get
>a nice cabin full of fumes if the air intakes were left on during
>deicing.

I thought airlines turned off engines during deicing as a general rule.
In any case, why would glycol smell like kerosene at all?

An interesting-smelling deicing fluid would be the 25 bottles of vodka
reportedly used to deice a scheduled U.S. carrier's flight in Russia,
when there was no deicing fluid at the airport (see AW&ST, 9 May 94).
Sounds like Delta got a little creative, or does any other U.S. carrier
fly scheduled into Russia?