Re: Really Long Range Commercial Transport

From:         jebright@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James R Ebright)
Date:         14 May 94 21:09:51

Terrell D. Drinkard <drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com> wrote:
>  We've been kicking this around a bit, and I thought I'd ask the group's
>opinion.
>
>  Assume for a moment that a commercial airframer could build a transport
>that is capable of flying halfway around the world in scheduled service.
>Does this have any real value?  Or are we happy at roughly 7000nm range?
>
>  I'd ask a live customer's opinion if I knew one.  :-)

I have a friend who does flights for Emory.  Mostly DC-8s.  He is in
Armenia right now... has been to Somolia, etc :)

They could use them...they have a lot of fuel stops on these kind of
flights.  But would anyone flying DC-8s buy an new plane? ;)

Other than servicing low volume, out of the way countries, and the
occasional JFK to HKG(?) flight, I suspect there isn't much of a market.
Even the Pacific isn't that hard to cross.
--
 A/~~\A   'moo2u from osu'   Jim Ebright   e-mail: ebright@bronze.coil.com
((0  0))_______  "A million dollars, ... I can get that.  I can get that