Re: Twin-engine 727?

From:         woodp@zilker.net (Philip E. Wood)
Date:         13 May 94 11:31:43

In article <airliners.1994.1208@ohare.chicago.com> stephenl@de.deere.com (Lyle E. Stephens) writes:

>A reliable observer reported what looked like a B-727 with only two
>engines at Detroit during the week of April 27. The top engine air
>inlet had been replaced with a fairing, the tail cone had been modified,
>The nacelles were larger than usual, and the landing gear looked
>somewhat different. The plane was in American Airlines colors. The
>observer is familiar with DC9/MD80's. Does anyone know more about
>such a plane?

He may be familiar with DC9/MD80, but what about the Fokker 100?

Actually, there is a company called Valsan (I think that's right) that
has proposed a twin-engine 727 to a number of airlines.  Better fuel
efficiancy, quieter, and two man crew were among the benefits.  It was my
understanding, though, that there had been zero takers.  Maybe not?

Valsan also has a winglet modification for the 727, and Delta presently
is test flying two of them.  I think they are registration N511DL and N512DL.

--
  |  Phil Wood, Austin, TX, USA             |   "Life was so much      |
  |  woodp@zilker.net                       |    simpler when father   |