Re: TransAtlantic Twin Engine failure

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         12 May 94 13:19:37

In article <airliners.1994.1186@ohare.Chicago.COM> rna@leland.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft) writes:
>I won't quote the whole article, since it's copyright and I'm not sure
>it should have been posted in its entirety anyway.  Briefly a United 767
>en route from London to LA landed in Churchill, Manitoba (on Hudson Bay)
>at an old SAC base after flying for 90 minutes with one bad engine.
>This was on Saturday, May 7.
>
>It would be interesting to hear more of the details of this, as people
>hear them.  Most of the passengers apparently spent the night at a local
>diner, clearing them out of 4 days worth of food and spending a bundle
>in the process!  And adventure in retrospect, but possibly not too
>enjoyable at the time the pilot announced the trouble...

I'm not sure this is even noteworthy: 2 or three airplanes HAVE to divert
each month, following engine or weather problems.  EROPS flights are tightly
controlled, and it doesn't take too many squawks to force a diversion.
The number of suitable airfields, distance to the airfields, weather enroute
and at destination, etc., are all factors.  And there really AREN'T that
many suitable airfields in the North Atlantic (two?  three?).

Sounds like the system worked!

--
Robert Dorsett
rdd@netcom.com