Re: causes of go 'rounds?

From:         brackeen@netcom.com (Patrick C Brackeen)
Date:         12 May 94 13:19:37

Fred Christiansen (fredch@quad4.phx.mcd.mot.com) wrote:
: While driving past the PHX airport last Sunday, I observed an AmWest 737
: descending to land and then pull up for a(n apparent) go 'round.  My
: in-laws, who live fairly close to the airport, tell me that they see
: go 'rounds from time to time (well, with greater frequency than I would
: have tho't).

: What are the reasons for which a pilot might decide to go 'round?
: --
Fred,
 99% of the time a Commercial Airliner "go around" is due to trafic
conflict on the runway. With good visabilty, a busy airport is normally
spacing landing aircraft three miles in trail of each other and perhaps
tring to get departures off the same runway between landings.

 The tower controller makes certain assumtions about where the landing
aircraft will exit the runway or how quickly a departure will get off the
ground. If all does not work smoothly, the pilot landing may notice that
he is going to share the same strip of concrete with another piece of
alluminum.. this is a no-no so he "goes around".

 While this maneuver is fairly rare for the individual pilot {I have not
made one in 2 years or so} it is not uncommon at DFW ORD or other very
busy places.

 Other less common reasons to 'go around' might include wind shear,
improper line-up, about to land to far down runway, equipment
malfunctions {unsafe gear light?} etc. While perhaps upsetting to some
passengers, the procedure is really very safe and a  normal part of a
pilots experiences.

Pat
Pat Brackeen                                      brackeen@netcom.com
American Airlines                                 74555.1350@compuserve.com