Re: Jet Makes Emergency Landing

From:         rathinam@ins.infonet.net
Date:         12 May 94 13:19:34

In article <airliners.1994.1188@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:
>[The following is reposted with permission from ClariNet.  See end of
>message for details on ClariNet.  Karl]
>
>	ARKHANGELSK, Russia (AP) -- An Aeroflot jet carrying 62 people
>made an emergency landing in this Far North city on Saturday after
>the crew managed to replace missing hydraulic fluid with lemonade,
>a news report said.

[[...deleted]]
>	The report said that while the plane circled, the crew ``had to
>pour all the reserves of lemonade into the hydraulic system'' and
>managed to lower one more section of landing gear.
[[...deleted]]
>--
>"Copyright 1994 by Reuters.
>Reposted with permission from the ClariNet Electronic Newspaper newsgroup
>clari.biz.industry.aviation. [[...deleted]]

Can you really replinish the hydraulic fluid when an airplane is
in flight?  How does one pour things into the hydraulic system -
doesn't even the low pressure line have enough pressure to not
accept 'pouring' anything into it (unless done at high pressure)?
Is the hydraulic line accessible to the crew?

As long as we are on the subject, what is the hydraulic fluid
used in the commercial airplanes? (A better explanation than "BMS
3-11 Type IV fluid" - like the chemical composition, properties
and viscousity comparisons would be nice). What are the primary
criteria used to choose one such fluid over the other?
Sethu R. Rathinam                       rathinam@ins.infonet.net