Re: Stalls

From:         ngupta@nano.mit.edu (Nitin Gupta)
Date:         06 May 94 18:02:14

rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett) writes:

> But the shockwaves still exist.  You can see them when the airplane is
> flying 90 degrees to the sun; the shockwaves change the refractive
> property of air in the vicinity, and can be seen as little span-wise
> reflections dancing along the middle to rear of the wing.

I looked into this, and i'm not so sure that the faint "reflections" are
due to changes in refractive index. To be sure, pressure and temperature
do change n, the refractive index, of air. At 15degC and 1atm pressure at
500nm wavelength light (dominant visible for humans), n=1.00028.

At worst case (to maximize deviation from "standard condition"), n=1.00059
at 2atm and 1.0030 at 10atm pressure and 0degC. Unless these shockwaves
are of very large pressure, I do not see n changing enough to manifest
enough contrast to actually be visible on a sunny day. I'm not into
airfoil dynamics, so I have no idea what the nature of schockwaves are in
terms of their temporal pressure.

Reference: 74th ed. CRC

blue skies
Nitin Gupta                             MIT NanoStructures Laboratory
ngupta@nano.mit.edu       NeXT Mail Encouraged           617 253 0722