Re: Accident in Japan

From:         Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk>
Date:         27 Apr 94 12:59:43

Karl Swartz writes (27 Apr 94 01:22:25):-

> China Air flight 140 crashed at Nagoya, killing 261 of the 271 people
> aboard.  Apparently they attempted a go-around shortly before landing.
> At least one report I saw suggested the landing gear might not have
> been down.

There seems to be limited interest in this in the UK media. (None of the
passengers were British, and, as the woman at the BBC said when I rang up
to get some information about the Warsaw crash, "No bodies, no story!" :-)
The item had even disappeared from the BBC Radio 4 news this morning.

It made the front page of yesterday's London Evening Standard, and the
back page of this morning's Guardian, but the reports are very sketchy.
The Grauniad filled most of its column inches with reports of previous
crashes, which is a sure sign they know b***** all about this one!
(They append a table of Airbus crashes, which omits Warsaw! :-)

The few solid facts that have emerged are:-

- Aircraft type is described simply as "A300-600R".
  Karl's information was much more precise:
  > According to an Airbus Industrie comment, the aircraft was delivered
  > in 1991.  This would appear to be registration B-1816 (construction
  > number 580), an A300B4-622R, and the first A300-600 to go down.

- Engines were Pratt & Whitney 4000.

- Casualties: (Grauniad) 259 dead, 2 missing presumed killed, 11 survivors.

- Flight was from Taipei (Taiwan) to Nagoya (Japan). Crash occurred on
  Tuesday 26th April at 2015 local time (1115 GMT) at south end of runway
  (near the threshold? - reports don't say). Nagoya has only one runway,
  which is shared by civilian and military aircraft. Weather was fine with
  little or no wind.

- (Grauniad) Eyewitness interviewed on Japanese NHK TV network stated:
  "The plane was coming in on a glide path but suddenly pulled up in a steep
   ascent. Then I saw the engines catch fire. It crashed and there was an
   explosion."

- (Grauniad) Last exchange with control tower was:
  A/C: "CAL 140 going around."
  Tower: "CAL 140 stand by for further instructions."

As Karl says, the A300-600 is not fly-by-wire.

Pete
----
Peter Mellor, Centre for Software Reliability,
City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB
Tel: +44 (71) 477-8422, Fax.: +44 (71) 477-8585,
E-mail (JANET): p.mellor@csr.city.ac.uk