Re: Stalls

From:         mdrews@dsd.es.com (Michael Drews)
Date:         27 Apr 94 01:22:25

This talk about stalls reminded me of an interesting "view out the
window" on a 757 flight from CVG to SLC a few years ago.  I was on
the north side of the plane directly over the wing, and noticed an
odd shadow on the wing which would shift several inches back and
forth in the light turbulence.  Then I noticed a line of distortion
in my view matching the position of the shadow.  It appeared to be
a vertical plane of distortion similar to the distortion seen from
heated air rising from a hot road.  The sunlight angle was perpendic-
ular to the direction of flight, so I had ideal viewing conditions.

   My guess is that this was a shockwave associated with flow over
the wing was at or near Mach speed.  I had never heard of shockwaves
with commercial transports until this stall thread came up.  Opinions?

		Michael Drews

(Usually just a lurker here.)