Re: Accident in Japan

From:         kls@orchard.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         27 Apr 94 01:22:25

In article <2pk3joINNo2g@OAK.THEORY.CS.YALE.EDU> yan-dicky@cs.yale.edu (Dicky Yan) writes:
>Is there an accident in Japan (Nogoya Airport?) concerning a plane
>from Taiwan (or flown by a Taiwanese company)?

China Air flight 140 crashed at Nagoya, killing 261 of the 271 people
aboard.  Apparently they attempted a go-around shortly before landing.
At least one report I saw suggested the landing gear might not have
been down.  One might speculate that they simply noticed the landing
gear (or lack thereof) too late and hit while trying to go around, but
the landing gear reports may not even be accurate.

According to an Airbus Industrie comment, the aircraft was delivered
in 1991.  This would appear to be registration B-1816 (construction
number 580), an A300B4-622R, and the first A300-600 to go down.

Before people go nuts, the A300-600 is *NOT* a fly-by-wire (FBW)
aircraft, though it does have a glass cockpit and significant other
refinements over earlier A300 models.  While the A320 arguably has
some rather serious design flaws, this crash no more provides useful
evidence for or against Airbus and the A320 than did last month's
Aeroflot A310 crash, wherein the captain was allegedly giving his
kids flying lessons when his son caused the autopilot to switch off.
Both the A300 and A310 are solid airplanes that had decent records up
until a couple of years ago, when they seem to have started a run of
rather bad luck that has thus-far not been the fault of the aircraft.

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ditka.chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls