Re: How to become irradiated at 30 000 feet.

From:         ehahn@fairlite.mitre.org (Ed Hahn)
Date:         22 Apr 94 20:29:50

In article <airliners.1994.1161@ohare.Chicago.COM> kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:

   (Is there anything special
   about Concorde or its operation to address any radiation concerns?)

------
Well, it's not my usual source for postings to s.a.a, but Cecil
Adams of the Straight Dope column addressed this question in one of
his books, and concluded pretty much the same as you did.

He did mention that the Concorde had radiation detectors which advised
the pilot to descend if a certain radiation level was reached (50
millirems per hour ?).  Anyways, in the first several years of flight,
the detectors had yet to measure one tenth the alarm value.

Cecil Adams tends to shoot straight and research his answers about
technology fairly well, so I don't feel too anxious about posting
this...

ed