Re: Delta Tristar Operations

From:         jac@kidd.vet.purdue.edu (John Clear)
Date:         14 Apr 94 12:33:52 PDT

In article <airliners.1994.1130@orchard.Chicago.COM>,
 <julian@gatwick.sgp.slb.com> wrote:

>In the first case a Delta Tristar was taking off towards the east (Gatwick
>has only one east-west runway). The pilot aborted the takeoff causing a
>landing aircraft to go round again. The tower asked for an explaination of the
>takeoff abort and was told 'Bad flap indication'. The tower asked for further
>clarification but was again told 'Bad flap indication'. Anyway the Tristar
>pulled off the runway and sat in an unused holding area at the east end for
>about ten minutes before taxiing back to the west end and trying another
>takeoff. This time he lifted off but kept the under-carriage down. I was
>expecting him to perhaps circle and land but he headed off eastwards gaining
>altitude but with the under-carriage still down.

He probably kept the gear down to cool the brakes off.  The brakes get very
hot, and can ignite the tires if retracted to early.  The operating handbooks
contain charts on how long you have to wait for the brakes to cool before
raising the gear.  Letting them drag in the wind is a good way to cool them
quickly, although it does get some odd looks.

John
--
John `SpaceCadet` Clear - jac@mentor.cc.purdue.edu, jac@panix.com
Officiator, Purdue Daemons; Purdue Pilots, Inc.  PP-ASEL   SM, CAP-NYW

"Get a new sig.  You've had the same one for two years!" -- ksb