Re: USAir 737 nose gear collapse

From:         tristar500@aol.com (TriStar500)
Date:         13 Apr 94 02:46:48 PDT

In article <airliners.1994.1117@orchard.Chicago.COM>, John Harvie
<John_Harvie.LOTUS@notesteam.lotus.com> writes:

is it possible to retract the landing gear when
the plane is resting on it? I would think there would be some kind of lockout

All commercial airliners that I'm familiar with have an electric solenoid that
locks the gear handle in the down position when the airplane is on the ground.
When the airplane leaves the ground the solenoid energizes and unlocks the
handle. There is, however, a manual override. So it is possible for the gear
handle to be moved to the UP position on the ground.

...could a 737 make a landing without nose gear the way the 727 was able
to?

Sure it can, might get some damage to the nose cowls on the engines though.