Re: Antenna?

From:         Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk>
Date:         07 Apr 94 13:55:14 PDT

> 	I recently flew on an Airbus 320 (Northwest).  I
> noticed that underneath the wings there were what appeared
> to be support 'struts'.  I think that there were three of
> them on each wing.

I didn't look closely last time I saw an A320, but the FCOM 1.01.10 PP2-3
does not show any such struts (at least, not clearly - the diagrams of the
general shape of the aircraft are not particularly easy to read).

> On the end (tail side) of these 'struts'
> there was a black rod sticking out.  It looked similar to a
> car antenna.  There were similar rods (five I think) sticking
> out of the winglets.  What are these rods?

No such rods are shown in the FCOM, either. (Again, I am going by a small-scale
diagram.)

The diagrams do, however, label all the antennae. They are all on the
fuselage. None are on the wings.

> ... out of the winglets.

Eh? What winglets? Are you *sure* that was an A320?

Peter Mellor, Centre for Software Reliability,
City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB
Tel: +44 (71) 477-8422, Fax.: +44 (71) 477-8585,
E-mail (JANET): p.mellor@csr.city.ac.uk