Re: A320 Software Maintenance (1st April)

From:         Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk>
Date:         07 Apr 94 13:54:59 PDT

Following a steady stream of enquiries from people who either want further
information about the Air France software maintenance contract, or simply
reassurance that the world of safety-critical software hasn't yet turned
into a total nightmare, I suppose I'd better come clean before somebody
sues me!

The item "A320 Software goes on "3rd Party" maintenance", dated Fri Apr 1
23:52:46 1994, was AN APRIL 1ST JOKE!

The magazine "Goddaj" doesn't exist. The word (or one very similar in
spelling), pronounced rather like "g'day!" would be said with an Australian
accent, does in fact mean "good morning" or "good afternoon" in Danish,
though.

Thor Avionics doesn't exist, either, although my Danish friend, who definitely
does exist (Hi, Hellmuth! :-), once marketed a powerful multi-tasking PC
called the Thor. (The Thor was designed and developed by another friend, David
Oliver of Stevenage. The reason why the Thor did not take first Denmark, and
then the world, by storm is a long and true one, which I shall not relate
here.)

Wolf Larssen was a name I saw above a shop in Copenhagen. The name probably
stuck in my mind because (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) it was the name
of the villain in "The Sea Wolf" by Jack London.

Theophile Gautier (Gauthier?) was a French author.

Sextant Avionique, Matra, and Logica do exist, are in the safety-critical
software business, and were included to give artistic verisimilitude to an
otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative.

Readers should be assured that A320 software maintenance remains in the
capable hands of Airbus Industrie and its subcontractors!

Peter Mellor, Centre for Software Reliability,
City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB
Tel: +44 (71) 477-8422, Fax.: +44 (71) 477-8585,
E-mail (JANET): p.mellor@csr.city.ac.uk

Disclaimer: My jokes are my own. I just borrow some of my opinions! :-)