Re: Antenna?

From:         drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard)
Date:         01 Apr 94 13:12:01 PST

In article <airliners.1994.1080@orchard.chicago.com>,
Ed Hahn <ehahn@bongo.mitre.org> wrote:
>The black rods are static discharger wicks.  They dissapate static
>charge which may accumulate on the airframe to the airstream, but I
>don't know the exact mechanism.  I think they are used to improve comm
>radio performance; anyone know for sure?

They disipate lightning strikes as well as the usual static charge buildup.
There are a slug of little bitty carbon fibers exposed out the back end of
the wick.  The tips disipate the accumulated charge by tweaking the
electric field locally (just like the lightning rod on a barn).

Terry

--
Terry
drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com