Re: 707 airframes (Re: Date of Construction)

From:         drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard)
Date:         01 Apr 94 13:11:48 PST

In article <airliners.1994.1086@orchard.chicago.com>,
John DiMarco <jdd@db.toronto.edu> wrote:
>drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard) writes:
>
>>The DC-8 has shown much better economics over the long haul.  Fewer
>>ADs, fewer aging fleet maintenance requirements.  But, all of that came at
>>a price.
>
>I'm not quite clear exactly why this is so. What exactly about the 707 makes
>it less economical than the DC8?

The 707 is a lighter airplane than the trusty DC-8, structurally.  That
means that it requires a good deal more effort to keep it airworthy.  The
707 is also subject to more corrosion than the DC-8.  Given the higher
costs of keeping the '07 in the air, and what may well be higher systems
maintenance costs, it doesn't pay to reengine it in most instances, for
instance.

Terry

--
Terry