Re: Convair 990 + misc.

From:         shafer@rigel.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer)
Date:         01 Apr 94 13:11:09 PST

On 31 Mar 94 00:30:06 PST, Tobias Henry Lutterodt <luterodt@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> said:

>Are there any Convair 880 or 990s left, other than the 990 in
Tobias> Switzerland?  I've heard that the AJI ones at Mojave have been scrapped.<

Tobias> I was at Patuxent River NAS about five years ago and saw an
Tobias> ex-Navy testbed Convair (880 or 990, I'm not sure) sitting
Tobias> all-white in storage.  If it is still there, the best time to
Tobias> see it would be during the bi-annual air show the Navy puts on
Tobias> there.

I dunno about Pax, but we've got a 990 here at Dryden.  It's called
something like LSRA for Landing Systems Research Aircraft and has a
shuttle main trunnion mounted in the fuselage (although we all just
call it the 990).  They use it to examine the shuttle gear and brake
systems.

This 990 was originally a parts queen for the Ames-Moffett (now just
Ames) 990 that was an airborne observatory.  I've forgotten what
happened to that airplane; maybe it was the one that had a refused
takeoff at March AFB and threw chunks of hot tire rubber through the
wet wings and burned. Either that or they just retired it.
--
Mary Shafer                                                   DoD #362 KotFR
SR-71 Chief Engineer         NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA