Convair 990 + misc.

From:         Tobias Henry Lutterodt <luterodt@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>
Date:         31 Mar 94 00:30:06 PST

>Are there any Convair 880 or 990s left, other than the 990 in
Switzerland?  I've heard that the AJI ones at Mojave have been scrapped.<

I was at Patuxent River NAS about five years ago and saw an ex-Navy
testbed Convair (880 or 990, I'm not sure) sitting all-white in storage.
If it is still there, the best time to see it would be during the bi-annual
air show the Navy puts on there.

I'd like to clear up this question:  Is it true that before, Boeing
designed engine mounts to give when an engine seized and let the
engines fly while now (post-Amsterdam) they are trying to keep the
engines attached to the plane if at all possible?  Terry?