Re: Engine rotation

From:         westin@dsg42.nad.ford.com (Stephen H. Westin)
Date:         30 Mar 94 00:06:47 PST

In article <airliners.1994.1051@orchard.Chicago.COM> ctillier@flagstaff.princeton.edu (Clemens Emmanuel Tillier) writes:

> I was wondering about engines-- more specifically which way they
> rotate, and what effect this has.  What I've observed seems to
> indicate that all the engines of a particular aircraft rotate the same
> way, usually CCW seen from the front.  The best guess I can make is
> that this cuts down on costs, since making them all the same is
> cheaper.
>
> [stuff deleted]

This reminds me of a great story I heard from some guys from a
UK aerospace company. Pratt and Whitney and Rolls Royce entered
into a joint development project where one would build the front
section of the engine and the other the back. I don't remember
where the split was, or who did which half. A great deal of effort
went into transatlantic coordination to assure, for example,
the bolt holes would line up on the U.S. piece (designed in English
measurements) would line up with those on the U.K. piece (metric).
When the P&W section was finally shipped over, assembly went smoothly;
but as soon as they tried to fire the thing up, it blew sky high!
What no one had realized is that turbines run clockwise on one side of
the Atlantic, but counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise if you're British)
on the other. Supposedly hushed up by embarassed functionaries of the
two companies involved...

--
-Stephen H. Westin
westin@jake.nad.ford.com