Re: 707 airframes (Re: Date of Construction)

From:         drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard)
Date:         30 Mar 94 00:06:42 PST

In article <airliners.1994.1052@orchard.chicago.com>,
Robert Dorsett <rdd@netcom.com> wrote:
>In article <airliners.1994.1046@orchard.Chicago.COM> you write:
>>Again. I'm in the middle of a move, so I can't supple exact numbers,
>>but there were a little over 1,000 707 airframes built, and about 550
>>DC-8s built.  The last _Flight_ airliner census showed something like
>>100 707s still in service, and over 200 DC-8s.  Add in the E-3s and
>>E-8s and the gap narrows, but does not close.
>
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the FI census covers executive
>aircraft (private and governmental), military transports (e.g., Israel, etc),
>or the smaller cargo feleets.  I think the "flying" number is around 350,
>but I can't recall the number.

Actually, by our count their are a bit over 400 707 airframes flying today
in commercial service.  408 or 410, I forget now.  I suppose I could look
it up.  :-)

>The stretched DC-8 is clearly preferred by operators trying to show a
>profit, though-- mainly the cargo operators.

True.  The DC-8 has shown much better economics over the long haul.  Fewer
ADs, fewer aging fleet maintenance requirements.  But, all of that came at
a price.

>Anyone think Boeing might be able to supply a number? :-)

Maybe.  :-)   Actually, I asked someone else to look it up for me.
We have 402 actual 707 airframes in service.  This includes the E-3s,
E-8s, etc.  No KC-135s.

--
Terry
drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com