New TWA MD80s (was Re: DC9-MD80)

From:         ehahn@fairlite.mitre.org (Ed Hahn)
Date:         30 Mar 94 00:06:41 PST

In article <airliners.1994.1059@orchard.Chicago.COM> pmc@merit.edu (Philip M. Chuang) writes:

   2.  The last time I flew on an MD-88 it was on TWA.  The
       pilot told me the plane was assembled by Shanghai
       Aircraft in China, though the Dataplate says Long Beach.
       He also told me that particular plane was an MD-88G
       because it was built with a glass cockpit, can anyone
       help me confirm this?
-----
TWA operates 5 MD83's built by Shanghai Aviation under license from
MDC.  They do indeed have Glass Cockpits.  They also operate one MD83
built for Irish Aerospace (leasing) that is very similar in
specification.  The registration numbers for these six aircraft are
N9401% through N9406%, where % is a random letter (different for 2 of the
aircraft).  TWA refers to them as 9401-9406 (no N or random last
letter) in their day to day operations.

They do not and have no plans to acquire any new MD88s (or MD90s, for
that matter), but do operate some older MD82s and non-EFIS MD83s.

There is generally one of these MD83Gs operated on the daily
JFK-MCI-LAS-MCI-JFK run.

These aircraft (delivered in 1993) were the first new aircraft
deliveries for TWA since the 80's.  TWA is in the process of getting
more MD80s on the used market, as they need to ditch their (most
recently ex-Ozark and ex-Eastern) DC-9s (series 15, 31, 32, 33CF, 34,
41, and 51).

Also, (in the you-didn't-ask-but-I'm-telling-you-anyways category),
last I knew, TWA had recently acquired two B767-300ERs, which were
previously operated by Aer Lingus (old reg numbers EI-CAL and EI-CAM),
under lease from ILFC (I think).  The target route for these aircraft
are LA-Paris.

Regards,
ed

////////   Ed Hahn | ehahn@mitre.org | (703) 883-5988   \\\\\\\\