Re: Valsan 727 modifications

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         30 Mar 94 00:06:38 PST

>I believe about 10 years ago, American Airlines (and perhaps others)
>investigated a 727 reengining program that would turn them into twins,
>using modern high-bypass engines.

I don't recall American doing this, though Delta did ask Boeing to
consider a similar project.  Delta seemed to be alone at the time,
and Boeing, skeptical from the start, was more interested in selling
757s, so the idea died.

A similar plan which I do know American promulgated was one to update
their DC-10 fleet with many of the MD-11's improvements.  At one point
the updated plane was being referred to as an MD-14, but it, too,
eventually died.

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ditka.chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls