Sleeve valves

From:         Robert Ferguson <ferg0012@gold.tc.umn.edu>
Date:         30 Mar 94 00:06:30 PST

In <airliners.1994.978@orchard.Chicago.COM> wohlsen@sri.com writes:

>  What ever became of the 2- and 4-stroke sleeve-valve engine technology
>developed in the '30s and used extensively by Bristol and Rolls-Royce in
>radial and inline aircraft engines. [text deleted]  I assume they lost out
>to the radial poppet valve engines of Pratt and others as they were
>probably more expensive to build.

Sleeve-valves were used through '40s by the British, and it might be
more correct to say that along with radials, they lost out to jets.
I used to volunteer on the Short Sunderland that is at Oakland airport.
It uses four Pegasus engines, and according to those who worked with
them, the sleave valves eat oil like nothing else.  The aircraft, BTW
is not in flying condition (yet) though you might have seen it with
an engine running in one of the Indiana Jones movies.  I believe
sleeve-valves use fewer parts than poppet valves, but that doesn't
mean they were cheaper to build or maintain.  Ed Constant discusses
them a little in his book, "Origins of the Turbojet Revolution."

Rob Ferguson
History of Science and Technology
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities