Re: Those swinging engine pods!

From:         bdickey@cc.brynmawr.edu (Dickey Bradley F)
Date:         26 Mar 94 12:19:58 PST

In article <airliners.1994.1060@orchard.chicago.com> yip@sybase.com (Michael Yip) writes:

>It seems to me that in recent years more engines are falling/tearing
>off from 747s than before.   Here is a recent article (AW&ST 3/14/94)
>related to another incident in Tokyo:
>
>	The aircraft's landing was normal, but after several
>	hundred yards its No. 1 engine fell foward and skidded
>	on the ruway for about 1,000 yards.  A fire broke
>	out that damanged the wing, but the situation was not
>	deemed serious enough by the cockpit crew to order
>	emergency evacuation of the 228 passengers and 18 crew.
>	Instead they used mobile stairways.

I remember the Business Week article over the summer about this little
problem (It was mentioned on this group, so I daresay the archives
should list the date, etc - I know it was during June/July 93 sometime..)
The article mentioned that this was bad, particularly if the inboard
engines went missing, since they tend to  take the outboard engines with
them.

The question is, if an engine falls off a plane during flight, is that
an automatic downer for the aircraft, or are there certain admissible
scenarios?  If an outboard engine falls off a 747 in flight, can the
aircraft recover?

Shortly after reading the Business Week article, I made personal note
of the 'swaying engine pods' phenomenon on a PIA flight to Lahore.  It
really is rather disconcerting if you don't know what is going on.  Does
anyone know what degree of freedom they have - is it just in a single
dimension perpendicular to the fuselage longtitudinal axis, or can they
move back and forth as well?  Are there any clean functions that describe
the movement, or is it erratic?

Terry?

Brad_.