Re: Those swinging engine pods!

From:         yip@sybase.com (Michael Yip)
Date:         26 Mar 94 00:35:53 PST

In article <airliners.1994.1007@orchard.chicago.com>,
Robert Jacobson <cyberoid@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>While I've now flown enough miles not to get alarmed, I'm still surprised
>to look out the window of the 747 in which I'm traveling and see the
>engines swaying in turbulence.  How much do the engines actually travel,
>how does this affect their efficiency, and what type of construction is
>used that permits such wild movement without the engines tearing off and
>leaving us without power?  Thanks for your answers.

It seems to me that in recent years more engines are falling/tearing
off from 747s than before.   Here is a recent article (AW&ST 3/14/94)
related to another incident in Tokyo:

	For the First time, Japan's Civil Aviation Bureau has
	asked the FAA to check the safety status of a US carrier
	after a Northwest Airlines 747-251B bound for New York
	from Hong Kong lost an engine while making an intermediate
	stop at Tokyo's Narita Airport on Mar. 1.

	The aircraft's landing was normal, but after several
	hundred yards its No. 1 engine fell foward and skidded
	on the ruway for about 1,000 yards.  A fire broke
	out that damanged the wing, but the situation was not
	deemed serious enough by the cockpit crew to order
	emergency evacuation of the 228 passengers and 18 crew.
	Instead they used mobile stairways.

Michael E. Yip
Sybase, Inc.,           	     Internet_style: Michael.Yip@sybase.com
Emeryville, California.              UUCP: {sun,lll-tis,pyramid}!sybase!yip