Old 707s

From:         David Lednicer <dave@amiwest.com>
Date:         26 Mar 94 00:35:45 PST

I recently posted:

> ps - as to why there are now more than twice as many DC-8s in service
> than 707s - the US government has been a major buyer of airline surplus
> 707s.  The last I heard they had bought over 200 old 707s, of which
> nearly 100 are at Davis-Monthan, stripped of parts.  It must be nice to
> have the US government supporting your hull value!

government is parting them out to support the C-135, C-137, C-18, E-3,
E-6 and E-8 fleet.  I know that the JT3Ds off some of them replaced J-57s
on some KC-135s, creating KC-135Es, though some -135Es are now being
reengined again, this time with CFM-56s.  Additionally, the JT3D has a high
parts commonality with the TF-33 on the E-3 (C-141 and B-52H also).  The
C-18s and E-8s are surplus airline 707-320s themselves (and should really
have a -137 designation).

	One last note - the J-STARS (E-8) program office bought one new
707 off the line, before deciding to go with airline surplus 707-320s.
This aircraft has CFM-56s and I believe it is offically a E-6B or E-8B.
Recently, I read that it was at the Dubai airshow with a "For Sale"
sign.  I would imagine it will find a military buyer, as I believe it
doesn't have civil certification.  I have heard that the RAF wants an
aircraft like this so their E-3 pilots don't have to shoot touch and goes
with expensive (and valuable) E-3s.  Along these lines, NATO has bought
surplus 707s to train E-3 cockpit crews, so that they don't have to tie
up their E-3s.   Getting back to my original point - does anybody know
more about this airframe and its fate?

Redmond, WA  98052         |   fax:     (206) 746-1299