VERY Early DC-8s

From:         David Lednicer <dave@amiwest.com>
Date:         26 Mar 94 00:35:35 PST

	Thanks for the info Karl.  The reason I asked is that we were
doing some mod work on DC-8s in '93 and in the process we measured some
wing geometry off an aircraft.  Our measurements didn't agree with the
theoretical wing shape, so we were concerned that we might have one of
the early, unmodified aircraft.  I now suspect that instead, a
combination of measurement inaccuracy and a bent aircraft gave us the
disagreement.  If you ever want to see the guts of a DC-8 (or DC-9) there
is an aircraft boneyard on the South side of Willow Run Airport in
Ypsilanti Michigan.  Connie Kalita's operation always seems to have a
couple aircraft there being cut up and stripped of parts.  During my
infrequent business trips to Detroit, I have photographed (for work
purposes!) the remains of two DC-8-61 or -63s a -50 and an ex-Midway DC-9
(-50?).

	One last question - what happened to the prototype DC-8?  It would
be a shame if it were scrapped.  After all, Boeing donated Dash 80 to the
NASM and the first 747 to the Museum of Flight here is Seattle.  Hopefully
NASA will donate the first 737 (which they own) to a suitable facility, now
that they are replacing it with a 757.  Unfortunately Boeing scrapped the
first 727.  Lockheed still owns the first L-1011.  Come to think of it, what
happened to the first DC-9 and DC-10?

Redmond, WA  98052         |   fax:     (206) 746-1299