707 airframes (Re: Date of Construction)

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         25 Mar 94 11:33:17 PST

In article <airliners.1994.1046@orchard.Chicago.COM> you write:
>I said 707s flying, and I stand by my statement.  C-135s in their
>various flavors don't count (they're a different airframe, as much as
>it might look like a 707).  And all those engine-less (and often also
>tail-less) 707 airframes sitting in the sun at Davis-Monthan don't
>count either, since they're not flying.  E-3s and E-8s do count, but
>there's not that many of them.
>
>Again. I'm in the middle of a move, so I can't supple exact numbers,
>but there were a little over 1,000 707 airframes built, and about 550
>DC-8s built.  The last _Flight_ airliner census showed something like
>100 707s still in service, and over 200 DC-8s.  Add in the E-3s and
>E-8s and the gap narrows, but does not close.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the FI census covers executive
aircraft (private and governmental), military transports (e.g., Israel, etc),
or the smaller cargo feleets.  I think the "flying" number is around 350,
but I can't recall the number.

The stretched DC-8 is clearly preferred by operators trying to show a
profit, though-- mainly the cargo operators.

Anyone think Boeing might be able to supply a number? :-)

--
Robert Dorsett
rdd@netcom.com