Re: Date of Construction

From:         spagiola@leland.stanford.edu (Stefano Pagiola)
Date:         24 Mar 94 14:01:46 PST

Thomas Enblom writes
> > One bit of trivia: there were twice as many 707s built as DC-8s,
> > but today there are twice as many DC-8s still flying as there
> > are 707s.
>
> that trivia is not all true I mean if you just count airframes
> the 707 will definitely outnumber the DC-8. I'm talking about
> E-3,E-6,E-8 and a whole lot of RC/KC/C-135's which are all based
> on the 707 airframe.

I said 707s flying, and I stand by my statement.  C-135s in their
various flavors don't count (they're a different airframe, as much as
it might look like a 707).  And all those engine-less (and often also
tail-less) 707 airframes sitting in the sun at Davis-Monthan don't
count either, since they're not flying.  E-3s and E-8s do count, but
there's not that many of them.

Again. I'm in the middle of a move, so I can't supple exact numbers,
but there were a little over 1,000 707 airframes built, and about 550
DC-8s built.  The last _Flight_ airliner census showed something like
100 707s still in service, and over 200 DC-8s.  Add in the E-3s and
E-8s and the gap narrows, but does not close.

Ciao, Stefano
---
Stefano Pagiola
Food Research Institute, Stanford University, Stanford CA 94305-6084
Tel 415-725-0939, Fax 415-725-7007
Email spagiola@leland.stanford.edu (NeXTMail encouraged)