VERY Early DC-8s

From:         David Lednicer <dave@amiwest.com>
Date:         24 Mar 94 14:01:42 PST

	Ok Karl, here is a test of your knowledge (I must admit to not
knowing the answer).  The first DC-8s off the line had a problem with
excess drag in cruise, which was traced to the wing encountering drag
divergence earlier than expected.  To fix this, a 4% extended leading
edge was designed which cured this.  My question is: how many aircraft
were built with the original leading edge (and what was their
designation) and how many of these were retrofitted with the new leading
edge?

Redmond, WA  98052         |   fax:     (206) 746-1299