Re: Level Flight Deck revisited

From:         westin@dsg42.nad.ford.com (Stephen H. Westin)
Date:         24 Mar 94 14:01:36 PST

In article <airliners.1994.1028@orchard.Chicago.COM> shepherd@courier6.aero.org (Walter Shepherd) writes:

> There have been a number of postings related to cabin attendants pushing
> carts up hill and whether or not it is efficient to fly airliners with a
> positive AOA on the fuselage.  Everyone seems to be assuming that the
> flight deck and the longitudinal axis of the fuselage are parallel... are
> they? does anyone out there know for sure?  I have a dim distant
> recollection that in fact, they are not one and the same for the DC-10.  I
> recall hearing that substaintial structural weight was saved (remember the
> floor buckling accidents??) at the cost of tiring out the cabin attendants
> by having a 3 degree tilt on the flight deck.

There is at least one Airbus where the deck slopes upward toward the
tail at the rear of the fuselage, where it begins to taper. Most of
the cabin has a level deck. I don't know the model; I just noticed it
one boring day at Heathrow. I assume this is to keep the passengers
sitting at the widest part of the fuselage as it tapers upward. For the
same reason, I would bet that the deck follows the C/L of the tube
pretty closely; otherwise cabin space would be lost.

--
-Stephen H. Westin
westin@jake.nad.ford.com