Re: Level Flight Deck revisited

From:         drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard)
Date:         24 Mar 94 14:01:32 PST

In article <airliners.1994.1028@orchard.chicago.com>,
Walter Shepherd <shepherd@courier6.aero.org> wrote:
>There have been a number of postings related to cabin attendants pushing
>carts up hill and whether or not it is efficient to fly airliners with a
>positive AOA on the fuselage.  Everyone seems to be assuming that the
>flight deck and the longitudinal axis of the fuselage are parallel... are
>they? does anyone out there know for sure?  I have a dim distant
>recollection that in fact, they are not one and the same for the DC-10.  I
>recall hearing that substaintial structural weight was saved (remember the
>floor buckling accidents??) at the cost of tiring out the cabin attendants
>by having a 3 degree tilt on the flight deck.

Deck angle is the angle of the passenger cabin floor with respect to the
ground.  It is too expensive to manufacture an aircraft body with the floor
attachments at a different point on each frame.  If one were to design an
airplane in that manner, one would be forced into the expense of making each
fuselage frame different.

The flight deck floor is usually at a slightly different level than the
passenger cabin floor, but parallel to it.

The Lockheed Constellations had an interesting floor design, and I believe
the A300-600 has a 1.5 degree break in the floor somewhere in the aft
cabin.  I could be wrong on the particular Airbus model - Karl?

--
Terry
drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com