Re: Level Flight Deck revisited

From:         ehahn@fairlite.mitre.org (Ed Hahn)
Date:         22 Mar 94 09:52:44 PST

In article <airliners.1994.1028@orchard.Chicago.COM> shepherd@courier6.aero.org (Walter Shepherd) writes:

   There have been a number of postings related to cabin attendants pushing
   carts up hill and whether or not it is efficient to fly airliners with a
   positive AOA on the fuselage.  Everyone seems to be assuming that the
   flight deck and the longitudinal axis of the fuselage are parallel... are
   they? does anyone out there know for sure?  I have a dim distant
   recollection that in fact, they are not one and the same for the DC-10.  I
   recall hearing that substaintial structural weight was saved (remember the
   floor buckling accidents??) at the cost of tiring out the cabin attendants
   by having a 3 degree tilt on the flight deck.

----
Not sure about the older aircraft in service, but I DO know that the
A330 and A340 have a significant nose-down attitude on the cabin floor
when sitting on the landing gear.  Furthermore, the floor is not
flat, and increases in slope toward the rear of the aircraft.  I
think that if you find a picture of the A340 looking down the
fuselage, this effect will be very noticable...

ed

////////   Ed Hahn | ehahn@mitre.org | (703) 883-5988   \\\\\\\\