Level Flight Deck revisited

From:         shepherd@courier6.aero.org (Walter Shepherd)
Date:         21 Mar 94 14:52:15 PST
Followups:    1 2 3 4

There have been a number of postings related to cabin attendants pushing
carts up hill and whether or not it is efficient to fly airliners with a
positive AOA on the fuselage.  Everyone seems to be assuming that the
flight deck and the longitudinal axis of the fuselage are parallel... are
they? does anyone out there know for sure?  I have a dim distant
recollection that in fact, they are not one and the same for the DC-10.  I
recall hearing that substaintial structural weight was saved (remember the
floor buckling accidents??) at the cost of tiring out the cabin attendants
by having a 3 degree tilt on the flight deck.