Re: Reverse Thrust

From:         "Donald A. Hazle" <DAH@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>
Date:         21 Mar 94 14:52:12 PST

Is reverse thrust used on some aircraft in flight to slow a decent?  I
thought I had read in this newsgroup that reverse thrust was locked
out during flight on most aircraft.  However, on a 1968 approach to
Washington National (from northwest to southeast over the Potomac), the
flight attendant announced; "the noise you hear are the engines running
in reverse to control airspeed during our descent".
The aircraft was a DC-9 an there was a higher amount of noise than normal
coming from the rear.  I never heard this announced on any other flight.

Don Hazle  Penn State University