Re: United's new livery

From:         weiss@turing.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Michael Weiss)
Date:         20 Jan 93 02:39:40 PST

In article <airliners.1993.46@ohare.Chicago.COM> kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:
>And of course there's American.
>They switched to the big AA logo from the eagle when, about 1904? :-)
>And then there's their *big* change -- to silverish grey paint from
>polished aluminum for those aircraft where the manufacturer insisted
>on paint.  Oh boy!  :-)

Actually, it appears that the "silverish grey paint" appears only on fiberglass components, where the color certainly wouldn't match that of the aluminum.
Granted, it's not perfect, but it's closer than that pale beige of unpainted
fiberglass.

The most obvious places to see the painted fiberglass are on the tailcones of
MD-80s (which all were replaced sometime in the mid-80s, when tailcones were
disappearing in midflight), and on 757s, 767s, newer 737s and 747s, and the
MD-11s all over the fuselage.  One thing I noticed when flying on a 757 is
that leading-edge surfaces (such as the nacelle of the engines, and the
leading-edge slats) are all aluminum, but an awful lot of the rest is
fiberglass.

Oh, and one more disclaimer.  I'm not at all certain that the composite in
question actually is fiberglass.  In fact, I would not be surprised in the
least to find that it is some sort of carbon fiber composite.
--
-  Michael  weiss@seas.ucla.edu   |  School of Engineering & Applied Science  -