Re: SAA crash in the Indian Ocean

From:         rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         07 Dec 93 11:39:20 PST

In article <airliners.1993.794@ohare.Chicago.COM> you write:
>In article <airliners.1993.791@ohare.Chicago.COM>, teissier@stna.dgac.fr (Laurent Teissier p8131 BG22) writes:
>|> Does anybody remember of an old crash of a SAA 747 in the indian Ocean ?
>|> What were the conclusions that were drawn if they managed to find the recorders ?
>|> Thanks in advance.
>
>I believe it was a 747M, the one where the back is cargo and the front
>is passengers.  Something bad happened in the cargo deck, and I think there
>was controversy about whether it was a bomb or "just" dangerous cargo.
>I remember some discussion about the wisdom of such "mixed" aircraft
>at the same time.

I believe it was a Combi, running in a cargo configuration, with no pax.  The
crew reported dense smoke and lost control of the airplane.  It is believed
that the smoke originated in the aft cargo compartment.  Around the time of
the Lauda crash, recovery efforts suggested that lithium batteries being
transported might have contributed to the crash.  This was instantly specul-
ated as being the possible cause of the Lauda crash, since that airplane
was carrying watches, all with lithium batteries.  Most airlines adopted
a ban on carrying lithium batteries at about that time.

>regular 747.  I've also been on the 707M, (Lufthansa, Frankfurt-NYC, 1974)
>which, if I can remember all that way back, had the cargo section in front.
>
>(which doesn't make a whole lot of sense... how would the flight attendants
>communicate with the pilots---anyone remember these things??)

By intercom?

---
Robert Dorsett
rdd@cactus.org