Re: Who has computerised production lists?

From:         spagiola@FRI-nxt-Pagiola.Stanford.EDU (Stefano Pagiola)
Date:         07 Dec 93 11:39:13 PST

Pete Coe writes
> [Looking for a 20 year old crash in ...]
> 'The Airliner Production List' from the Aviation Hobby Shop ...
> takes a long time and I know there are errors
>

> ... I come across an ad for Lundkvist Aviation Research, which
> says 'has an extensive database with information about all
> commercial aircraft transactions since 1945'.  ... anyone got
> this or another computerized database, and any comments.

The TAHS production lists are based on the Lundkvist files, so if you
don't trust one you shouldn't trust the other.

More generally, though, I doubt the kind of errors that these lists
usually contain will seriously hamper your efforts.  Standard errors
are along the lines of missing or incorrectly dated transactions, and
typos in tail numbers.  Occasionally the errors are significant
enough to substitute two airframes.  But something like a crash is
generally pretty unambiguous.

Note that this comment applies primarily to jet and turboprop
aircraft; the older the design and the more remote the area of
operation the more likely it is that serious errors will appear.  Try
tracking down DC-3s.

--
-
Stefano Pagiola