Re: SAA crash in the Indian Ocean

From:         rna@leland.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft)
Date:         01 Dec 93 20:47:25 PST
Followups:    1 2 3

In article <airliners.1993.791@ohare.Chicago.COM>, teissier@stna.dgac.fr (Laurent Teissier p8131 BG22) writes:
|> Does anybody remember of an old crash of a SAA 747 in the indian Ocean ?
|> What were the conclusions that were drawn if they managed to find the recorders ?
|> Thanks in advance.

I believe it was a 747M, the one where the back is cargo and the front
is passengers.  Something bad happened in the cargo deck, and I think there
was controversy about whether it was a bomb or "just" dangerous cargo.
I remember some discussion about the wisdom of such "mixed" aircraft
at the same time.

I've been on one of these planes twice, an Air Canada flight Heathrow-
Dusseldorf.  The truncated interior is strange, if you're used to the
regular 747.  I've also been on the 707M, (Lufthansa, Frankfurt-NYC, 1974)
which, if I can remember all that way back, had the cargo section in front.

(which doesn't make a whole lot of sense... how would the flight attendants
communicate with the pilots---anyone remember these things??)

RNA