Info req. on minimal waste(water) toilet

From:         arch2c@menudo.uh.edu (Kim Baumann Larsen)
Date:         01 Dec 93 03:16:37 PST

We are working on a project on redesigning the mock-up Space Habitation
Laboratory here at the Sasakawa International Center for Space
Architecture, College of Architecture, University of Houston.

I am looking for a kind of toilet-solution utilising a minimum amount
of water (like an aeroplane compressed-air toilet) or none at all (like a
camping toilet). The toilet needs to hold the waste of 6 persons for upto a
week (aprox. 30 gallons ?); which will be the planned mission simulation
duration.

Our main problem is not having a lot of space in the original design and we
cannot connect the lab to existing sewagelines. We therefore need a
solution that will contain the waste for a shorter period of time and then
to be emptied in one way or another.

I have be playing with the idea of getting hold of a plane-toilet, actually
a complete bathroomunit from an outdated commercial airliner, but don't
know where to start.

Please note that we are looking for a practical, hopefully low-cost
solution that not need be similar to that used in high-tech space
architecture like the space shuttle (which doesn't work very well anyway
:-) ). We are actually going to build this during the 1994 spring.

Appreciate any info.

Kim Baumann Larsen
civil architect MNAL / research assistant
Sasakawa International Center for Space Architecture (SICSA)
College of Architecture, University of Houston, Houston
tel. (713) 743-2350             email:  arch2c@menudo.uh.edu
fax. (713) 743-2358