Re: A300/A310

From:         drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard)
Date:         29 Nov 93 22:21:36 PST

>>> Airbus A300/A310 (nearing 700)
>
>>I have a lot of trouble who lump these two aircraft together as one!
>
>You'd better take it up with Airbus Industrie, because they lump them
>together in one series.  Same thing with the A330 and A340.
>
>>If you look at the A300B4 and its "derivative" the A310, there really
>>is not that much in common.  New wing, new engine choices, new glass
>>cockpit, new rear fuselage, new tailplane, many new systems, etc.
>
>Pretty much the same will be true of the new 737X as compared to the
>original 737-100, too, yet I fully expect Boeing to consider them the
>same type.  Where do you draw the line?  The manufacturer seems to be
>the best authority available, and Airbus lumps the A300 and A310
>together.

The key is the Type Certificate.  All 737s have the same type certificate
(not the same as a rating - all 747s use the same type certificate, but the
747-400 has a different rating requirement).  The DC-9/MD-80s have the same
Type Certificate, as do DC-10s and MD-11s.  Presumably the same is true for
A300/A310 airplanes.

In the last year or two, things have gotten a bit mushier.  I'm clueless
about the A330/A340 Type Certificates.  I'd guess it is much like the
Boeing 757/767 Type Certificate, but I don't have any data.  The A321
shares the same TC with the A320, and with the A319 if/when it is built.
Another interesting question is the Russian aircraft.  Tu-204, Il-96,
An-124, etc.

For those into the really complex, there is still the BAC 1-11, with a UK
Type Certificate, and what used to be a Romanian Production Certificate,
but without BAC participation, one wonders if the TC will continue to be
recognized by Western regulatory agencies.

--
Terry
drinkard@bcstec.boeing.com