Re: Thickness of Runways

From:         yip@sybase.com (Michael Yip)
Date:         29 Nov 93 22:21:30 PST

--

I remember that thickness of the runway is one thing but the
major factor really depends on the "distribution of weight"

I forgot where I read it but the distribution of weight on a
MD-80/DC-9 type of aircraft is not as even as, or not as "light"
as a 747.  The 747 has more wheels to spread over its weight
while the MD-80/DC-9 has fewer to do the same.

Michael E. Yip
Sybase, Inc.,           	     Internet_style: Michael.Yip@sybase.com
Emeryville, California.              UUCP: {sun,lll-tis,pyramid}!sybase!yip