A300/A310

From:         Tobias Henry Lutterodt <luterodt@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>
Date:         23 Nov 93 00:02:41 PST

> Airbus A300/A310 (nearing 700)

I have a lot of trouble who lump these two aircraft together as one!
If you look at the A300B4 and its "derivative" the A310, there really
is not that much in common.  New wing, new engine choices, new glass
cockpit, new rear fuselage, new tailplane, many new systems, etc.
About all the two share is a common  cockpit structure and fuselage
diameter.  The A300-600 came *after* the A310 and does share the
same engines, cockpit, rear fuselage, etc with the A310, but it would
still be a stretch to group them.  OK, so they come down the same
production line, too.  But does *this* make them the same aircraft?

In my mind, it would be better to group the early and current model
A300's and leave the A310 alone when talking sales totals.

Tobias Lutterodt