Re: Airbus Airplanes

From:         h andrew chuang <chuang_hsin@ae.ge.com>
Date:         23 Nov 93 00:02:40 PST

> 	In a recent posting, someone asked about airplanes that Airbus has
> on the burner.  The respondent forgot to mention the Guppy replacement
> that Airbus is building for its own use.  The aircraft will be based upon
> the A300-600, with a grossly enlarged upper lobe for carrying sub
> assemblies between the production sites in Europe.  The cockpit will be
> from an A320(?), slung down slightly beneath the rest of the cockpit, to
> allow large clamshell doors above it, for straight in loading of the upper
> lobe.  I understand that four will be built and that the first one is in
> assembly right now.

It's called the A300-600ST Super Transporters.  Officially, it's not an
Airbus project.  It's designed and built by SATIC, a joint venture of
Aerospatiale and Deutsche Airbus.  First flight targeted to be in Sept 1994,
delivery a year later.

The above information is from the 27 Oct - 2 Nov issue of
_Flight International_ (for people who are not aware of the magazine, it is
a British equivalent of Aviation Week, and it's available in many fine
bookstores and libraries).  This issue is its annual directory of all the
commericial airlines of the world.  It summarized the major activities of
all the manufacturers during the past year.  Of course, there is also a
complete list of all the specs of different airliners.  In the 13-19 Oct
issue, there is a world turbine engine directory, too.  AW&ST used to
compile a similar list of all the engines and aircraft in the world usually
around March.  However, this year (correct me if I'm wrong) AW&ST has yet to
publish such a list.  I found _Flight International's_ summary of past-year
activities to be very informational.  However, all the data are in metric
system; sometimes it can be very annoying.  (I hate to say that the metric
system is "annoying", because I always perferred metric over British when I
was in school.  Despite being "metric-trained" in school, all the data
related to airliners that I came across were in British units, and I'm just
not calibrated to numbers like 275kN of thrust.  Although, Rolls Royce is
the only major engine manufacturer which uses kN for its engine thrust
specs, its 320kN (72,000lb) thrust engine for the A330 is designated as the
Trent 772, and its 373kN (84,000lb) thrust engine for the B777 is the Trent
884.  Obviously, even they can't get rid of the British system totally. :-)